The History of Leith

December 4, 2013


21 Ap. 1656.—James Stevenson . . . report that Adam Gairns his land besyd ye new hospitall wch was called the stiffing house payes yearlie Ten pound sterling and the land in ye narrow close upo ye Shore bewast the broad wynd payes yearlie £20 sterling. So the session compones both ye lands for ane £100 scots.
(Note.—These were casualties due to the Session. “Stiffing” was an old word for starch. The close referred to may have been the Precious Close, a narrow cid-de-sac now closed but still existing.)

source-South Leith Records

Some Text