The History of Leith

June 21, 2013

South Leith Poorhouse

According to the 1848/9 Edinburgh and Leith Post Directory, South Leith appears to have briefly operated a poorhouse at 97 Giles Street. However, a new poorhouse was built in 1850 at the east side of North Junction Street. Its location and layout are shown on the 1876 and 1908 maps below. for more click here

Some Text