The History of Leith

May 19, 2013

Laver or Basin made of hammered Silver

8 Octor. 1647.—Our Bailies James Eilies
and David Wilkie giftit to our Kirk Sessione
yis day ane silver Laver for the use of ye Kirk
of South Leith.
Ordains that ye silver warke, viz.:—The
two great bassins, the four great coups and yis
laver be dely vered to Jhone bowie pnt thesaurer
as also ye lining clothes yat appertains to ye
kirke.
(Note.—This handsome Laver or Basin made of
hammered Silver is the baptismal basin of the Church,
and continues to be in constant use. The rim, which
is flat, bears this inscription—”Gifted to the South
Kirk of Leith by James Rucheid and James Elles and
David Vilkie Bailies 1647.”)

source-South Leith Records

Some Text