The History of Leith

April 23, 2013

Fort in North Leith

There has been a fort in North Leith since 1650. The original built after the Battle of Dunbar, The Battle of Dunbar (3 September 1650) was a battle of the Third English Civil War. The English Parliamentarian forces under Oliver Cromwell defeated a Scottish army commanded by David Leslie which was loyal to King Charles II, who had been proclaimed King of Scots on 5 February 1649. The current walls were built by James Craig. However the original walls were Cromwellian. Note the gateway in Sandport Street that led into the Cromwellian fort.

Some Text