The History of Leith

March 24, 2013

Leith pier

On the 20th of August, 1560, Queen Mary
landed at the town to take possession of the throne
of her ancestors. The time was about eight in the
morning, and Leith must have presented a different
aspect than in the preceding year,«when the cannon
of the besiegers thundered against its walls. No
vestige now remains of the pier which received her,
though it must have been constructed subsequent
to the destruction of the older one by the savage
Earl of Hertford—the pier at which Magdalene of
France, the queen of twenty summer days, had
landed so joyously in the May of 1537.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text