The History of Leith

March 15, 2013

The Exchange Buildings

The Exchange Buildings at the foot of Constitution
Street, opposite Bernard Street, were
erected, at a cost of .£16,000, in a Grecian style
of architecture, and are ornamented in front
by an Ionic portico of four columns. They
are three storeys in height, and include public
reading and assembly rooms ; but of late years
assemblies have seldom been held in Leith, though
they were usual enough in the last century. In the
Weekly Magazine for 1776 we read of a handsome
subscription being sent by ” the subscribers to a
dancing assembly in Leith,” through Sir William
Forbes, for the relief of our troops at Boston.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text