The History of Leith

March 12, 2013

St. James’s Episcopalian church

Between Constitution Street and the Links stands
St. James’s Episcopalian church, an ornate edifice
in the Gothic style, designed by Sir Gilbert Scott,
having a fine steeple, containing a chime of bells.
It was built in 1862—3, succeeding a previous chapel
of 180 5 (erected at the cost of £1,610) on an adjacent
site , and to which
attention was frequently drawn from the literary
celebrity of its minister, Dr. Michael Russell, the
author of a continuation of Prideaux’s ” Connection
of Sacred and Profane History,” and other works.
According to Arnot, the congregation had an origin
that was not uncommon in the eighteenth century.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text