The History of Leith

February 28, 2013

The head-court

14 Aprill 1646.—This day being ane head
court day all uyr processes were conteinued
becaus ye Sessione must desolve and attend ye
provost and bailies and consell of Edr yr down
coming.
(Note.—This is the first mention in the minutes
of a “head-court.” The Courts in Leith were conducted
in the Tolbooth by the two bailies appointed
for Leith by the Edinburgh Town Council, to keep
order there and enforce the rights belonging to them
as superiors. They may have come down to Leith as
they did to Newhaven, where once a year they came
to the Parliament Square.)

source-South Leith Records

Some Text