The History of Leith

February 28, 2013

Old Stones

12 May 1646. — Christian Robertson
relict of umqll Alexr Guthrie petitioned ye
Sessione to have ye favor as to let hir sett up
ane hewen stone in ye church yard at ye head
of hir husbands corpse J>ut ye Sessione in no
wayes would grant hir petition unto hir becaus
everie ane wold strive to have ye lyke favor
therefor it was not grantit but absolutlie refused
to hir and all uyrs.
(Note.—This minute shows that at its date the
erection of Tombstones was an uncommon custom. To
show respect in this way to the dead was thought to
savour of popery, and for this reason cherubs and
other carved figures were often mutilated. The
erection of tombstones did not become popular until
a century later. We possess a few old stones. The
oldest is probably the one forming part of the pavement
at the south-east doorway ; its date is 1593 and
it bears the name of Logan. Many old stones have
unfortunately been used up for the pavements in and
around the church. This was a convenient practice
before the cement pavements were made. The oldest
stone standing in the churchyard, which can be
deciphered, bears the name Ajpercromby. It is dated
1656, and stands outside the elders’ vestry.)

source-South Leith Records

Some Text