The History of Leith

February 17, 2013

The Tolbooth

Penult of October 1612.—The Sessione
ordaines ye examinatiounes to begine in the
Tolbuithe at Mertimes, and to continew till ye
conimunioune be given and wha soeuer disobeyes,
and cumes not sail pay of penaltie 2s
for ye first fault and yrefter sail be in ye
sessiounes will.
(Note.—The Tolbooth, built in the reign of Queen
Mary, stood in Tolbooth Wynd. It was removed in
1817, and a new one erected on the same site. This was
adapted to other uses, including that of
a public library. Now removed}

source-The South Leith Records

Some Text