The History of Leith

January 18, 2013

Caitchhall

23 Now. 1651.—The which day was the
first day Mr Jon Weir our pastor (immediately
efter his returning horn) did convene the
scattered congregaone of South Leith together
(being ye Lords day) and preached to ym in
the Caitchhall at the foot of the Cannongaite.
(Note.—The Caitchhall was the Royal Tennis
Court just outside the Water Gate, and adjacent to
the Palace’. The game was then known as “Caitche
pelle.” It has been suggested that the curious building
known as Queen Mary’s Bath-house may have
been used as a bath-house in connection with the
Caitchhall.)

source-South Leith Records

Some Text