History of Leith, Edinburgh

December 19, 2012

The earliest notice

The earliest notice we have of St. Mary’s Church is
in 1490, when Peter Falconer gifted the annual rent of
a house in ” the Lees,” the district in and around Yardheads
School and Henderson Gardens, for the maintenance
of the chaplain of St. Peter’s Altar in the new
Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Leith. A few
years later, in 1499, Gilbert Edmonston similarly endowed
the Altar of St. Barbara.

source-The Story of Leith

Some Text