History of Leith, Edinburgh

December 19, 2012

Ruined

In the simple ritual of our Presbyterian form of
worship the choir was not needed, and was generally
allowed to fall into ruin. The choir and transepts of
South Leith Church, therefore, after being ruined by
the cannon of the English during the siege of 1560,
when a cannon-ball passed right through the building
from east to west during the celebration of Mass, were
never rebuilt. Still, what remains forms a beautiful
and stately church.

The ruins, as at Restalrig, became a convenient and
ready quarry from which to obtain building material.
Carved and moulded stones, and even portions of sculptured
memorial tablets, have been found in demolishing
the walls of old houses in and about the neighbourhood
of the Kirkgate, for our pre-Reformation forefathers,
like the later church restorers, were in no way distinguished
for their veneration for things sacred.

source-The Story of Leith

Some Text