History of Leith, Edinburgh

December 19, 2012

At the Reformation

At the Reformation the Rev. David Lindsay, the
friend of Knox, and one of the most noted of the
Reformers, became the first Protestant minister of
St Mary’s. He was designated parson of Restalrig and
minister of South Leith. The chapels and altars of the
old craft guilds went from the church with the old Catholic
faith. Under the name of trade incorporations, however,
these guilds were still closely associated with the
work of the church. It was they who paid the stipend
of the second minister in the days when the church had
two They were largely responsible for its upkeep and
maintenance, for to them and the other parishioners the
church had been bequeathed by the Golden Charter of
James VI. in 1614, together with the churchyard, the
lands of the Hospital of St. Anthony, the Chapel of St.
James at Newhaven, and such other properties as the
Lamp Acre at Seafield and the Holy Blood Acre at
Annfield. But the lands of Parsons green, which once
formed the greater part of the glebe of the parson of
Restalrig, as the name would lead us to suppose, now became
the patrimony of the Logans of Parson’s Knowes,
as these lands were called in the old pre-Reformation
times

source-The Story of Leith

Some Text