The History of Leith

November 5, 2012

The Wauchope’s of Niddrie

Sir John Wauchope of Niddrie is mentioned by
Guthryin his “Memoirs,” as a zealous Covenanter.
Niddrie House, a mile north of Edmonstone
House, is partly an ancient baronial fortalice and
partly a handsome modern mansion. The holly
hedges here are thirty feet high, and there is a !
sycamore nineteen feet in circumference.
In 1718 John Wauchope of Niddrie, Marischal,
was slain in Catalonia. He and his brother were
generals of Spanish infantry, and the latter was
governor of the town and fortress of Cagliari in
Sardinia.
We find the name of his regiment in the following
obituary in 1719:—”Died in Sicily, of fever, in

the camp of Randazzo, Andrew, son of Sir George
Seton of Garleton—sub-lieutenant in Irlandas Regiment,
late Wauchope’s.” (Salmon’s ” Chronology.”)
In 1718 one of the same family was at the seabattle
of Passaro, captain of the San Francisco
Arreres of twenty-two guns and one hundred men.
Lediard’s History calls him simply ” Wacup, a
Scotchman.”

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text