The History of Leith

November 5, 2012

Temple lands and Temple houses of Currie

In 1670 Scott of Bavelaw was retoured in the
Temple lands and Temple houses of Currie. The
fragment of the old church bore the impress of
great antiquity, and when it was removed to make
way for the present plain-looking place of worship,
there was found a silver ornament supposed to be
the stand of a crucifix, or stem of an altar candlestick,
as it had a screw at each end, and was seven
inches long by one and one-eighth in diameter.
On a scroll, it bore in Saxon characters, the legend —
Jesu . Fili. Die . Misersre . Mei.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text