The History of Leith

November 3, 2012

MacLellan’s Land,

In MacLellan’s Land, No. 8, a lofty
tenement which forms the last in the range of
houses on the north side, of the street,”itas peculiar
interest from its several associations. Towards the
middle of the last century this edifice—the windows
of which look straight up the Candlemaker-row—
had as the occupant of its third floor Mrs. Syme, a
clergyman’s widow, with whom the father of Lord
Brougham came to lodge, and whose daughter became
his wife and the lady of Brougham Hall.
He died in 1810, and is buried in Restalrig churchyard.
Mrs. Brougham’s maiden aunt continued to
reside in this house at the Cowgate-head tifl. a
period subsequent to 1794.
In his father’s house, one of the flats in Mac-
Lellan’s Land, Henry Mackenzie, ” the Man of
Feeling,” resided at ojie time with his wife and
family.
In the flat immediately below Mrs. Syme dwelt
Bailie John Kyd, a wealthy wine merchant, who
made no small noise in the city, and who figures
among Kay’s etchings. He was a Bailie of 1769,
and Dean of Guild in 1774.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text