The History of Leith

October 16, 2012

Tane doun

In the subsequent conflicts of 1572, the houses
in Leith Wynd and St. Mary’s Wynd were unroofed
and all the doors and windows of those on the west
side of the latter were built up, among other preparations
made by Sir William Kirkaldy to defend
the town against the king’s men. At a still later
date in the same year all the houses at the head
of each of those wynds were ” tane doun,” and
no doubt on this occasion the chapel of St. Mary
would be ruined and dismantled with the rest.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text