The History of Leith

October 13, 2012

Earl William

Earl William—who built
Roslin Chapel, was High Chancellor in 1455, and
ambassador-to England in the same year—far surpassed
what had often sufficed for the kings
of Scotland. His princess, Margaret Douglas,
daughter of Archibald Duke of Touraine, according
to Father Hay, in his ” Genealogie of the
Sainte Claires of Rosslyn,” was waited upon by
” seventy-five gentlewomen, whereof fifty-three
were daughters of noblemen, all cloathed in velvets
and silks, with their chains of gold and other pertinents
; together with two hundred riding gentlemen,
who accompanied her in all her journeys.
She had carried before her, when she went to
Edinburgh, if it were darke, eighty lighted torches.
Her lodging was at the foot of Blackfryer Wynde ;
so that in a word, none matched her in all the
country, save the Queen’s Majesty.” Father
Hay tells us, too, that Earl William ” kept a great
court, and was royally served at his own table in
vessels of gold and silver : Lord Dirleton being his
master of the household, Lord Borthwick his cupbearer,
and Lord Fleming his carver, in whose
absence they had deputies, viz., Stewart, Laird of
Drumlanrig; Tweedie, Laird of Drummelzier; and
Sandilands, Laird of Calder. He had his halls
and other apartments richly adorned with embroidered
hangings.”

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text