The History of Leith

October 13, 2012

Dr. Hay

By his energy Dr. Hay constructed a chapel in
Chalmer’s Close, whicfc was destroyed in 1779,;
when an attempt to repeal the penal statutes,
against Catholics roused a ” No Popery” cry in-
Edinburgh. On the 2nd of February a mob,
including 500 sailors from Leith, burned this
chapel and plundered another, while the bishop was
living in the Blackfriars Wynd, and the house
of every Catholic in Edinburgh was sacked and
destroyed.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text