The History of Leith

October 12, 2012

The mansion of Adam Bothwell

Descending the High Street, after passing Bank
Street,there is situated one of the most remarkable old edifices in
the city—the mansion of Adam Bothwell, Bishop
of Orkney. It stands at the foot of Byres’ Close,
so named from the house of Sir John Byres of
Coates, but is completely hidden from every point
save the back windows of the Daily Review office (in 1883).
A doorway on the east side of the close gives access
to a handsome stone stair, guarded by a curved
balustrade, leading to a garden terrace that overlooked
the waters of the loch. Above this starts
abruptly up the north front of the house, semihexagonal
in form, surmounted by three .elegantlycarved
dormer windows, having circular pediments,
and surmounted by a finial.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text