The History of Leith

October 11, 2012

Ancient Edinburgh

Till so late as the era of building the Royal
Exchange Edinburgh had been without increase |
or much alteration since King James VI. rode
forth for England in 1603. “The extended wall
erected’in the memorable year 1513 still formed
the boundary of the city, with the exception of the
enclosure of the Highriggs. The ancient gates remained
kept under the care of jealous warders,
and nightly closed at an early hour; even as when
the dreaded inroads of the Southron summoned
the Burgher Watch to guard their walls. At the
foot of the High Street, the lofty tower and spire
of the Nether Bow Port terminated the vista, surmounting
the old Temple Bar of Edinburgh, interposed
between the city and the ancient burgh of
Canongate.”

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text