The History of Leith

October 9, 2012

West Port, Edinburgh

The West Port is a street in Edinburgh’s Old Town, Scotland, located just south of Edinburgh Castle. It runs from Main Point (the junction of Bread Street, Lauriston Street, East Fountainbridge and High Riggs) down to the south west corner of the Grassmarket. Its name derives from the fact it sloped up from the West Port, which was the only westwards exit from the city when the city walls stood,[1] allowing one to pass through the Flodden Wall. The port (gate) itself was demolished in 1786. for more click here

Some Text