The History of Leith

October 9, 2012

The Sacred Heart

On the south side of efw West Port, in an
opening of somewhat recent formation, leading to
Lauriston, the Jesuits have now a very large
church, dedicated to “The Sacred Heart,” and
capable of holding more than 1,000 hearers. It is
in the form of a great lecture hall rather than a
church, and was erected in 1860, by permission
of the Catholic Bishop Gillis, in such a form,
that if ever the order was suppressed in Scotland
the edifice might be used for educational
purposes. Herein is preserved a famous image
that once belonged to Holyrood, but was lately
discovered by E. Waterton, F.S.A., in a shop at
Peterborough.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text