The History of Leith

October 5, 2012

Mud Island

A kind of round lower, or the basement thereof,
is shpwn above Ihe soulh-west angle of Ihe Callon
cliffs in Gordon’s view in 1647 ; but of any such
edifice no record remains ; and in the hollow where
Nottingham Place lies now, a group of five isolaled
houses, called ” Mud Island,” appears in the maps
of 1787 and 1798. In 1796, and at many olher
times, Ihe magistrates ordained that ” All-hallow
fair be held on the lands of Calton Hill,” as an
open and unenclosed place, certainly a perilous one,
for tipsy drovers and obstinate cattle. An agriculturist
named Smilh farmed the hill and lands
adjacent., now covered by great masses of building,
for several years, till about the close of the I8th
century ; and his son, Dr. John Smilh, who was
born in 1798, died only in February, 1879, after being
fifty years physician lo the old charity workhouse
in Forrest Road.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text