The History of Leith

October 2, 2012

William Chambers

in 1865, thew Lord Provost was William Chambers,
LL.D., the well-known Scottish writer, and member
of the eminent publishing firm of W. and
R. Chambers, High Street, during whose double
tenure of office the work of demolition in connection
with the city improvements commenced
in the block of buildings between St. Mary’s AVynd
and Gullan’s Close, Cannongate, on the i5th June,
1868. A grand review and sham-fight of volunteers
and regulars, to the number of 10,000 men, took
place in the royal park on the 4th July ; and subsequently
the freedom of the City was bestowed
upon Lord Napier of Magdala, and upon that
far-famed orator, John Bright, M.P. In 1874
James Falshaw was elected to the chair, the first
Englishman who ever held such an office in Edinburgh.
He was created a baronet of the LTnited
Kingdom in 1876 on the occasion of the unveiling
by the Queen of the Scottish National Memorial of
the late Prince Consort in Charlotte Square. He
was preceded in the chair by William Law, and
• succeeded in 1877 by Sir Thomas Jamieson Boyd..
the _well-known publisher, who was knighted in
1 1881 on the occasion of the Volunteer Review.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text