The History of Leith

October 2, 2012

Charles Lawson

In 1862 the Lord Provost was Charles Lawson
of Borthwick Hall, one of the most extensive seed
merchants perhaps in Scotland, and who had the
honour to entertain at his house, 35, George Square,
the Prince and Princess of Wales. It was during
Mr. Lawson’s reign that, on the loth of March,
1863, the Prince’s marriage took place, an occasion,
that gave rise to the great and magnificent illumination
of the city—a spectacle the like of which has
never been seen, before or since, in this country.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text