The History of Leith

September 30, 2012

Ancient Closes and Wynds

Carrubber’s Close was probably named from
” William of Caribris,” one of the three bailies in
1454, as doubtless Con’s Close was from John Con,
a wealthy flesher of 1508. William Foular’s Close
is mentioned in 1521, when Bessie Symourtoun
is ordered to be burned there on the cheeks and
banished for passing gear infected with the pest;
and Mauchan’s Close was no doubt connected
with the name of John Mauchane, one of the bailies
in 1523; Lord Borthwick’s Close is frequently
mentioned before 1530, and Francis Bell’s Close
occurs in the City Treasurer’s Accounts, under date
1554. Liberton’s Wynd is mentioned in a charter
by James III. in 1474, and the old protocol books of
the city refer to it frequently in the twelve years
preceding Flodden

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text