The History of Leith

September 28, 2012

The Greensyde to the Freris Carmelitis

In December, 1520, the Provost (Robert Logan
of Coalfield), the Bailies and Council, again conferred
the ground and place of ” the Greensyde to
the Freris Carmelitis, now beand in the Ferry, for
their reparation and bigging to be maid,” and Sir
Thomas Cannye was constituted chaplain thereof.
From this it would appear that the friary had
been in progress, and that till ready for their
reception the priests were located at the Queens- \
ferry, most probably in the Carmelite monastery j
built there in 1380 by Sir George Dundas of
that ilk. In October, 1525, Sir Thomas, chaplain
of the place and kirk of the Rood of Greenside,
got seisin ” thairof be the guid town,”
*and delivered the keys into the hands of the
magistrates in favour of Friar John Malcolmson,
“pro marerall (sic) of the ordour.”

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text