The History of Leith

September 25, 2012

Robbery and the Post

In 1689 the Post-office was put upon a new
footing, being sold by roup ” to John Blair, apothecary
in Edinburgh, he undertaking to carry on
the entire business on various rates of charge for
letters, and to pay the Government 5,100 merks
(about ,£255 sterling) yearly for seven years.”
.And in October that year William Mean of the
Letter Office was committed to the Tolbooth, for
retaining certain Irish letters until the payment
therefor was given him. In 1690 the Edinburgh
post-bag was robbed in the lonely road near Cockburnspath,
and that the mails frequently came in
with the seals broken was a source of indignation
to the Privy Council. In 1691, John Seton (brother
•of Sir George Seton of Garlton) was committed
to the Castle for robbing the post-bag at Hedderwick
Muir of the mail with Government papers

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text