The History of Leith

September 21, 2012

One of the finest specimens of the wooden fronted houses of 1540

One of the finest specimens of the wooden fronted
houses of 1540 was on the south side of
the Lawnmarket, and was standing all unchanged,
after the lapse of more than 338 years, till its
demolition in 1878-9 (see the engraving after
Ewbank’s view of it, p. 104). “As may be observed,
its north front, each storey of which advances
a little over that below, is not deficient in elegance,
there being Doric pilasters of- timber interspersed
with the windows of one floor, and some decorations
on the gable presented to the street. The west
front is plainer, in consequence apparently of repairs
; but we there see the covered space in front
of the place for merchandise on the ground floor.”

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text