The History of Leith

September 20, 2012

The site of St. Salvator’s altar

On the north side of the choir of St Giles the monument of
the Napier family forms a conspicuous and interesting
feature to passers-by. This tomb—long called
by tradition that of the great inventor of logarithms
-—is supposed to indicate the site of St. Salvator’s
altar, to the chaplain of which Archibald Napier of
Merchiston, in 1499, “mortified” an annual rent
of 20 merks out of a tenement near the church of
the Holy Trinity. The tomb is surmounted by the
arms of the Napiers of Merchiston, and of Wright’s
House, and bears the following inscription, showing
plainly that it is a family burial-place :—
” .S. E. P. Fain, de Neperorum interius hiesitum est.”

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text