The History of Leith

September 19, 2012

The position in St Giles of the graves of the Regent Murray, the Regent Morton, and his great rival, John Stewart Earl of Athole

From the preface to ” Gologras and Gawane,”
we learn that in 1528 Walter Chapman the printer
founded a chaplaincy at the altar of Jesus Christ,
in St. Giles, and endowed it with a tenement in the
Cowgate; and there is good reason for believing
that the pious old printer lies buried in the south
transept of the church (St Giles), close by the spot where
the Regent Murray, the Regent Morton, and his
great rival, John Stewart Earl of Athole, are buried;
and adjoining the aisle where the sorely mangled
remains of the great Marquis of Montrose were
so royally interred on the yth of January, 1661.

Source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text