The History of Leith

September 15, 2012

Miss Ferrier

The parents of Miss Ferrier, the well-known
novelist, according to a writer in Temple Bar for
November, 1878, occupied a fiat in Lady Stair’s
Close after their marriage, Mrs. Ferrier (nee
Coutts) was the daughter of a farmer at Gourdon,
near Montrose, and was a woman of remarkable
beauty, as hei portrait by Sir George Chalmers,
Bart, (a native of Edinburgh) in 1765 attests. At
the time of her marriage, in 1767, she had resided
in Holyrood with her aunt, the Hon. Mrs. Maitland,
widow of a younger son of Lord Lauderdale;
and the flat the young married couple took in
the old close had just been vacated by Sir James
Pulteney and his wife Lady Bath.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text