The History of Leith

September 14, 2012

The queen’s Deid-room

A portion of the residence of
Mary of Lorraine and Guise,, accessible by a stair
near the head of the close, contained a hall, with
other apartments, all remarkable for the great
height and beauty of their ceilings, on all of which
were coats armorial in fine stucco. In the decorated
chimney of the former were the remains
of one of those chains to which, in Scotland, the
poker and- tongs were usually attached, to prevent
their being used as weapons in case of any sudden
quarrel. One chamber was long known as the
queen’s Deid-room, where the individuals of the
royal establishment were kept between their death
and burial. In 1828 there was found walled up
in the oratory an infantine head and hand in wax,
being all that remained of a bambino, or figure of
the child Jesus, and now preserved by the Society
of Antiquaries.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text