The History of Leith

September 8, 2012

The woolpacks

The Castle Hill lay in a rough state till 1753, when the earth
taken from the foundations of the Royal Exchange
was spread over it, and the broad flight of forty
steps which gave access to the drawbridge was
buried. The present ravelin before the half-moon
was built in 1723 • but alterations in the level must
have taken place prior to that, to judge from
” Archsologia Scotica,” which contains an ” Elegie
on the great and famous Blew Stone which lay on
the Castle Hill, and was interred there.” On this
relic, probably a boulder, a string of verses form
the doggerel elegy:- ,Our old Blew Stone, that’s
dead and gone,
His marrow may not be;
Large, twenty feet in length
he was,
His bulk none e’er did
ken ;
Dour and dief, and ran with
grief,
When he preserved men.
Behind his back a batterie
was,
Contrived with packs of
woo,
Let’s now think on, since
he is gone,
We ‘re in the Castle’s
view.”
The woolpacks evidently
refer to the siege
of 1689.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text