The History of Leith

September 8, 2012

The Esplanade-c1883

The Esplanade was
improved in 1816 by a
parapet and railing on
the north, and a few
years after by a low wall on the south, strengthened
by alternate towers and turrets. A bronze statue of
the Duke of York and Albany, K.G., holding his
marshal’s baton, was erected on the north side in
1839, and a little lower down are two Celtic memorial
crosses of remarkable beauty. The larger and
more ornate of them was erected in 1862, by the
officers and soldiers of the 7 8th Ross-shire Highlanders,
to the memory of their comrades who fell
during the revolt in India in 1857-8 ; and the
smaller cross was raised, ” In memory of Colonel
Kenneth Douglas Mackenzie, C.B., who served for
forty-two years in the 92nd Highlanders—who saw
much of service in the field, and deserved well of
his country in war and in peace. . . . Died on
duty at Dartmoor, 24th August, 1873.”

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text