The History of Leith

September 8, 2012

St. Andrew Church

There stood on the north side of the Castle
Hill an ancient church, some vestiges of which were
visible in Maitland’s time, in 1753, and which he
supposed to have been dedicated to St. Andrew the
patron of Scotland, and which he had seen referred
to in a deed of gift of twenty merks yearly, Scottish
money, to the Trinity altar therein, by. Alexander
Curor, vicar of Livingstone, 2oth December, 1488.
In June, 1754, when some workmen were levelling
this portion of the Castle Hill, they discovered a
subterranean chamber, fourteen feet square,
wherein lay a crowned,-image of the Virgin, hewn
of very white stone, two brass altar candlesticks,
some trinkets, and a few ancient Scottish and French
coins. By several remains of burnt matter and two
l>arge cannon balls being also found there, this
edifice was supposed to have been demolished
during some of the sieges undergone by the Castle
since the invention of artillery. And in December,
1849, when the Castle Hill was being excavated
for the new reservoir, several finely-carved stones
were ijiund in what was understood to be the
foundation of this chapel or of Christ’s Church,
which was commenced there in 1637, and had
actually proceeded so far that Gordon of Rothiemay
shows it in his map with a high-pointed spire,-
but it was abandoned, and its materials used in
the erection of the present church at the Tron.

Source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text