The History of Leith

August 30, 2012

St. Giles was arched with stone in 1380,

A portion of the church of St. Giles was arched
with stone in 1380, as would appear from a contract
noted by Maitland, who has also preserved
the terms of another contract, made in 1387, between
the provost and community of Edinburgh ‘
on one hand, and two masons on the other, for the
construction of five separate vaulted chapels along ‘
the south side of the church, the architectural
features of which prove its existence at a period
long before any of these dates, and when Edinburgh
was merely a cluster of thatched huts.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text