The History of Leith

August 25, 2012

All-hallow fair

In 1796, and at many other
times, the magistrates ordained that “All-hallow
fair be held on the lands of Calton Hill,” as an
open and unenclosed place, certainly a perilous one,
for tipsy drovers and obstinate cattle. An agriculturist
named Smith farmed the hill and lands
adjacent, now7 covered by great masses of building,
for several years, till about the close of the i8th
century ; and his son, Dr. John Smith, who was
born in 1798, died only in February, 1879, after
being fifty years physician to the old charity workhouse
in Forrest Road.’

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text