The History of Leith

August 21, 2012

THE garden wherein St. David budded trees

THE garden wherein St. David budded trees and
cultivated such fruits and flowers as were then
known in Britain is a place of flowers and shrubs
again, save where it is intersected by the prosaic
railway or the transverse Earthen Mound; but
those who see the valley now may find it difficult
to realise^that for 300 years it was an impassable
lake, formed for the defence of the city on the
north, when the wall of 1450 was built; but the
well that fed it is flowing still, as when David
referred to it in his Holyrood charter. Fed by it
and other springs, the loch was retained by a dam
and sluice at the foot of Halkerston’s Wynd—the
dam being a passable footway from the city to the
northern fields.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text