The History of Leith

August 17, 2012

Nos. 9 and 10 Queen Street

Nos. 9 and 10 were removed in 1844 to make
way for the present hall of the Royal College 6f
Physicians, on the demolition of the former one in
George Street. The foundation stone was laid on
the 8th of August, 1844, by the then president,
Dr. Renton, in presence of the Fellows of the
college and others. In it were deposited a copy of
the first edition of the ” Edinburgh Pharmacopoeia,”
containing a list of the Fellows of the college; a
work concerning its private affairs, printed several
years before ; an Edinburgh Almanac for the
current year ; several British coins, and a silver
plate with a suitable Latin inscription.
It was designed by Thomas Hamilton, and is
adorned in front with an Attic Corinthian tetrastyle,
surmounted by a common Corinthian distyle, and
is handsomely adorned by colossal statues of
yEsculapius, Hippocrates, and Hygeia; but it was
barely completed when, ample though its accommodation
appeared to be, the rapid additions to
its library and the great increase in the number of
Fellows, consequent on a reduction of the money
entry, and other changes, seemed to render an
extension necessary.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text