The History of Leith

August 14, 2012

The Carmelites at Greenside

It was not until 1518, when the
Provost James, Earl of Arran, and the Bailies of the
city, conveyed by charter, under date i3th April, to
John Malcolme, Provincial of the Carmelites, and
his successors, their lands of Greenside, and the
chapel or kirk of the Holy Cross there. The
latter had been an edifice built at some remote
period, of which no record now remains, but it
served as the nucleus of this Carmelite monastery,
nearly the last of the religious foundations in
Scotland prior to the Reformation.
In December, 1520, the Provost (Robert Logan
of Coatfield), the Bailies and Council, again conferred
the ground and place of ” the Greensyde to
the Freris Carmelitis, now beand in the Ferry, for
their reparation and bigging to be maid,” and Sir
Thomas Cannye was constituted chaplain thereof.
From this it would appear that the friary had
been in progress, and that till ready for their
reception the priests were located at the Queensferry,
most probably in the Carmelite monastery
built there in 1380 by Sir George Dundas of
that ilk. In October, 1525, Sir Thomas, chaplain
of the place and kirk of the Rood of Greenside,
got seisin ” thairof be the guid town,”
and delivered the keys into the hands of the
magistrates in favour of Friar John Malcolmson,
“pro marerall (sic) of the ordour.”

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text