The History of Leith

August 13, 2012

The Green Market (Now the Princes Mall)

The Green Market, which lies immediately westward
of the block of houses at the west side of the
North Bridge, occupies, or rather covers, the
original terminus of the Edinburgh, Perth, and
Dundee Railway, and was formed and opened on
the 6th March, 1868, in lieu of the previous
market at the eastern end of the valley, removed
by the North British Railway. It stands on a
basement of lofty arches, constructed of strength
sufficient to bear the weight of such a peculiar
edifice. It was covered by an ornamental terraced
roof, laid out in tastefully-arranged gardens, level
with Princes Street, and having well lights and
a gallery; changes, however, were effected in
1877, when it was to suffer encroachment on
its roof by the street improvements, and when
it received a further ornamentation of the former^
and acquired at its north-west corner a handsome
staircase. In the spacious area of this
edifice, promenade concerts, cattle and flower
shows, are held.

Source-Old and New Edinburgh

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text