The History of Leith

August 7, 2012

An additional chaplaincy in this church (St. Mary-in-the- Fields)

James Laing, a burgess of Edinburgh, founded
an additional chaplaincy in this church (St. Mary-in-the-
Fields) during the
reign of Jarnes V., whose royal confirmation of it is
dated 19th June, 1530, and the grant is made ” to
a chaplain celebrating divine service at the high
altar within the collegiate church of Blessed
Marie-in-the-Fields.”
When made collegiate it was governed by a provost,
who with eight prebendaries and two choristers
composed the college ; but certain rights appear to
have been reserved then by the canons of Holyrood,
for in 1546 we find Robert, Commendator of
the abbey, presenting George Kerr to a prebend
in it, “according to the force and form of the
foundation.”

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text