The History of Leith

July 31, 2012

Wardie in the Late 18th and early 19th century

In the beginning of the present century (19th Century), and
before the roads to Queensferry and Granton
were constructed, the chief or only one in this
quarter was that which, between hedgerows and
trees, led to Trinity, and the principal mansions
near it were Bangholm Bower, called in the
Advertiser for 1789 “the Farm of Bangholms.”
adjoining the lands of Warriston, and which was
offered for lease, with twelve acres of meadow.
” lying immediately westward of Canonmills Loch:”
Lixmount House, in 1810 the residence of Farquharson
of that ilk and Invercauld ; Trinity
Lodge, and one or two others. The latter is
described in the Advertiser for 1783 as a large
mansion, pleasantly situated on the sea-shore, abou:
a mile north of the New Town.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text