The History of Leith

July 31, 2012

Robbed ” near the place called Jock’s Lodge”

In 1692, it would appear from the Privy Council
Register, that the post-boy riding with the mail-bag
on its last stage from England, was robbed ” near
the place called Jock’s Lodge,” at ten o’clock at
night on the i3th August by a mounted man armed
with a sword and one on foot armed with pistols,
who carried off the bag and the boy’s horse ; ^100
reward was offered, with a free pardon to informers
; but many such robberies were the result
of political complications.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text