The History of Leith

July 31, 2012

Piershill barracks c1883 (Now removed)

About the middle of the last century (18th century) Colonel
Piers, who commanded a corps of horse in Edinburgh,
occupied a villa built on the higher ground
overlooking Restalrig, and a little way north of
the road at Jock’s Lodge. In the Courant for v
February, 1761, it is described as being a house
suited for a large family, with double coach-house
and stabling for eight horses; and for particulars
as to the rent, application was to be made to Mr.
Ronald Crawford, the proprietor, who names it
Piershill House.
This villa occupied the exact site of the present
officers’ quarters, a central block of the spacious
barracks for two regiments of cavalry, built there
in 1793 from stones excavated at Craigmillar, in
the same quarry that furnished materials for the
erection of George Square and the Regent Bridge.
These barracks form three sides of a quadrangle,
presenting a high wall, perforated by two gateways.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text