The History of Leith

July 23, 2012

The ancient Craig House

Among the missing charters of David II. is one
to James Sandiland, ” in compensation of the lands
of Craiglokart and Stonypath, Edinburgh,” and
another to ” James Sandoks (?) of the same lands.”
On a plateau of the hill, embosomed among
venerable trees, we find the ancient Craig House,
a weird-looking mansion, alleged to be ghosthaunted,
lofty, massive, and full of stately rooms,
when in old times dances were stately things, ” in
which every lady walked as if she were a goddess,
and every man as if he were a great lord.”
It is four storeys in height, including the dormer
windows ; the staircase tower rises a storey higher,
and has crowstepped gables. On the lintel of the
moulded entrance door are the initials S. C. P.,
and the date 1565.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text