The History of Leith

July 10, 2012

The baronial burgh of Broughton c1883

This baronial burgh (Broughton), or petty town, about a
mile distant by the nearest road from the ancient
city, stood in hollow ground southward and eastward
from the line of London Street, and had its
own tolbooth and court-house, with several substantial
stone mansions and many thatched cottages
in 1780, and a few of the former are still
surviving.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text